Nutritional Needs During Pregnancy
3 Reasons You May Need Nutrient Supplementation From 1st Trimester
1. Your Baby Needs It!
Your baby bump may not show till Trimester 2, but your baby is indeed growing throughout the First Trimester and this is one of the most critical periods in terms of his/her future health. The most dramatic changes and development like major organ development happen during this time.
- Your baby’s neural tube (which develops into your baby’s brain and spinal cord) closes by Week 5
- Your baby’s heart’s development starts from Week 3
- Your baby’s cells are starting to form eyes, ears, lungs, stomach etc
It is critical for your baby to get the necessary nutrition to enable all these changes. The key nutrients required during this phase are Folic Acid, Iron, Iodine and Calcium.
2. Your Body Needs More!
An expecting mother’s nutrient needs during Pregnancy are almost 40-60% higher than before2.
- Iron requirement is higher by 66%;
- Calcium requirement goes up by 100%,
- Folic Acid requirement is higher by 150% and
- Protein requirement increases by 50%.
That’s a lot of extra nourishment that your body needs! Your daily diet alone may not be sufficient and additional micronutrient supplementation may be required.
3. Is Your Body Retaining It?
Expecting mothers often have to battle ‘morning sickness’ during Pregnancy. While vomiting causes loss of nutrients, nausea prevents you from eating several foods which are critical for daily nutrition. Micronutrient supplementation with regular daily diet may often be required to help an expectant mother get the nutrition that she requires3,4.
Why is Mother’s Horlicks Recommended?
Mother’s Horlicks has been scientifically designed keeping in mind the nutritional requirements of expecting mothers. It contains 27 vital nutrients that are important to provide the right nutrition for the mother’s health and baby’s growth.
- Contains Choline and other nutrients that are important for Brain Development.
- Contains Nutrients like Iron, Iodine, Folic Acid, Zinc, Magnesium, Vitamin A, B6, B12 and D that are known to help improve birth weight
- Contains High Protein (as per Codex guidelines) Mother’s Horlicks contains calories (352kcal/100gms) which help to meet the increased demands of energy in pregnancy
- Mother’s Horlicks helps provide 100% of daily requirement of Iron, Folic acid, B2, B6, B12, Vitamin C and Calcium.
Mother’s Horlicks is available in a pleasing Vanilla flavor. We recommend that Mother’s Horlicks should be consumed along with a balanced daily diet. Speak to your gynecologist if you want to know more!
- Daniel W Wong et.al, “Counseling Individuals Through the Lifespan".
- Nutrient Requirements and recommended dietary allowances for Indians [Internet] 2015. Cited 15 January 2015. Available from http://nutritionfoundationofindia.org/pdfs/BulletinArticle/Pages_from_final_Bulletin_January_2010_1.pdf .
- Potdar R, Sahariah S, Gandhi M, Kehoe S, Brown N, Sane H et al. Improving women's diet quality preconceptionally and during gestation: effects on birth weight and prevalence of low birth weight--a randomized controlled efficacy trial in India (Mumbai Maternal Nutrition Project). American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2014;100(5):1257-1268.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. DIET AND THE PREGNANT AND LACTATING WOMAN [Internet]. [cited 6 April 2015]. Available from http://www.fao.org/3/M2998E/M2998E00.htm